Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Let's Celebrate

A pleasant surprise greeted me upon my return to Damongo from my vacation.  Wow! There were new babies in town.

Meet the newest additions to my Damongo Family.

Meet Terrance, the son of Eric Dery and Benedicta and Emmanuelar, daughter of Irrenus Saana and Mildred.  Terrance was born on the 4th of November 2023 and Emmanuellar on the 29th of December 2023.  Welcome little ones!

Eric Dery is the driver of the Secretariat.  He has always been there for me from Day 1 bringing me home from Tamale to SAGISS, my first home.  He has been a constant companion for my work commute, travels to Tamale for my Ghana documentation requirements and also to out-of-town travels.  But Eric is more than just a driver assigned to me.  He is my family here in Damongo.  He was with me when I moved and set up my new home in the Canteen area of Damongo, helping me with plumbing, electrical and handy man issues I experienced in my new home. He taught me and helped me set up my small home farm which provided me with the lettuce, cucumbers and other vegetables for the kitchen.  Truly, Eric is family, and I am proud to be called Grandma Josie by Terrance.

 

Irrenus is the Bishop’s Driver.  He was also with me from Day 1, picking me up from the airport and bringing me to the Catholic Guesthouse in Tamale for lunch with the Bishop.  On occasion, he would be the one to drive me around when Eric was unavailable.  Though the interactions with Irrenus is not as often because of his work, I feel a close bond with him.  He trusted me with the story of his life in Nigeria before coming back home to Ghana.  I am most honored to have shared this with him. He too is my family in Damongo, and it would be my pleasure to be a grandma to Emmanuellar.

 

But wait, don’t we always say that the best things come in threes.  Well, we are expecting another baby by June, this time from Cynthia Aazelinibe, our Secretariat cleaner.  Last year, in late October, I learned that Cynthia was engaged and already wearing an engagement ring.  In November, I was told that the dowry has been paid by Bruno and that in all respects in the Ghanaian culture this means they are already married.  Cynthia’s pregnancy is a welcome news for the couple and Cynthia’s son, Gregory.  Congratulations Cynthia, Bruno and Gregory.  We can’t wait to meet your new bundle of joy.

 


So, what’s next?  I’ll let you in on our secret.  I am thrilled to learn that there will be a quadruple sacramental marriage in the Catholic Church before the end of the year.  I am eagerly anticipating this event for Evans and Vivian, Eric and Benedicta, Irrenus and Mildred and Cynthia and Bruno. Keep them in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Celebrate

A pleasant surprise greeted me upon my return to Damongo from my vacation.  Wow! There were new babies in town. Meet the newest additions ...